How to Make:
- Place lamb, stock, barley, tomatoes, thyme and 5 cups water in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour, skimming any fat from surface if necessary.
- Add leek, carrot, celery and potato. Simmer, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat.
- Using tongs or a slotted spoon, remove lamb and set aside for 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Remove and discard bones. Roughly shred lamb.
- Return lamb to soup. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through (see note). Stir in parsley. Serve topped with extra parsley.
Time for preparing:95 min. PT95M
- 750g lamb neck chops, trimmed
- 3 cups Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 3/4 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 medium leek, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 2 small carrots, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 medium desiree potatoes, peeled, cut into 1cm pieces
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, plus extra to serve