How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line the base and sides of a 10cm x 21cm loaf pan.
- Place butter, golden syrup and sugar in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 mins or until butter melts and the mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves in a bowl. Add the eggs, buttermilk and butter mixture and stir to combine. Pour into the prepared pan. Smooth the surface.
- Bake for 40-45 mins or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for 5 mins to cool. Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make the caramel icing, combine the sugar, butter and cream in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 3 mins or until the butter melts and sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium. Bring to the boil. Cook for 2 mins or until the mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat. Set aside for 10 mins to cool slightly. Add the icing sugar and stir to combine. Set aside for 30 mins or until cooled completely.
- Place the cooled ginger cake on a serving plate. Spread with the caramel icing. Cut into slices to serve.
Time for preparing:50 min. PT50M
- 125g butter, chopped
- 2/3 cup (230g) golden syrup
- 1/3 cup (70g) brown sugar
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 Coles Australian Free Range Eggs
- 1/2 cup (125ml) buttermilk Caramel icing
- 1/2 cup (110g) brown sugar
- 50g butter
- 2 tablespoons thickened cream
- 2/3 cup (110g) icing sugar mixture