How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 20cm round cake pan. Line base and side of pan with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and eggs together for 3 minutes or until thick and creamy. Add flour. Beat on low speed until combined. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Spread to level. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until top is golden and a skewer inserted into centre of cake comes out with moist crumbs clinging.
- Meanwhile, make almond topping. Place sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until boiling. Stir in almonds. Remove from heat.
- Remove cake from oven. Using a skewer, prick holes all over top of cake. Pour the almond mixture over top of cake, spreading almonds to cover top evenly. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until tart is dark golden and liquid is absorbed (see note). Stand in pan for 20 minutes. Turn, top-side up, onto a wire rack lined with baking paper to cool. Serve tart warm or cold with cream.
Time for preparing:55 min. PT55M
- 100g butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 300ml tub thickened cream, whipped, to serve Almond topping
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 40g butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted