How to Make:
- Use your hands, a fork or a stick blender to roughly puree the tomato in a bowl and add the extra 3 tbs olive oil. Mix in a couple of pinches of salt, to taste, until all are well incorporated. Set aside.
- Roll the dough into a long sausage, about 3cm thick, on a lightly floured work surface. Cut the dough into about 12 gnocchi-shaped pieces. Heat the 500ml (2 cups) olive oil in a deep saucepan or deep-fryer until it reaches 175°C on a cook’s thermometer. Once at that temperature, place the dough pieces carefully in the pan, one at a time, and fry until crisp and golden. They may need to be turned or moved. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate lined with paper towel for 15-20 seconds to drain.
- Arrange on a serving plate and top each piece with a little tomato, a small piece of mozzarella and a basil sprig. Sprinkle the grated parmesan on top and serve immediately.
Time for preparing:5 min. PT5M
- 1 canned whole peeled tomato
- 500ml (2 cups) extra virgin olive oil, for frying, plus 3 tbs, extra
- 250g pizza dough (see notes)
- 200g fior di latte cheese or buffalo mozzarella, torn
- 12 fresh basil sprigs
- 100g (1 cup) finely grated parmesan