How to Make:
- Combine water, yeast and 1 tablespoon of sugar in a small jug. Set aside for 5 minutes or until frothy. Combine the plain and wholemeal flours, bread improver, mixed spice, salt and remaining sugar in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour the yeast mixture into the well and stir to combine. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a large bowl and loosely cover with plastic wrap or a clean tea towel. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 1 hour or until dough doubles in size.
- Use your fist to punch down the dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and add the raisins and mixed peel. Knead for 5 minutes or until the fruit is well distributed through the dough.
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Brush a 10 x 20cm loaf pan with melted butter to grease. Sprinkle the base and sides with half the sunflower seeds and pepitas. Shape the dough into a log and place in the prepared pan. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draught-free place. Set aside for 30 minutes or until dough doubles in size.
- Combine the egg yolk and milk in a small bowl. Brush evenly over the top of the dough and sprinkle with remaining seeds. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 180°C and bake for a further 20 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the base. Remove from oven and turn onto a wire rack to cool. Serve toasted with butter or cream cheese.
Time for preparing:30 min. PT30M
- 1 cup (250ml) warm water
- 2 teaspoons dried yeast
- 1/4 cup (55g) brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) plain flour
- 1 cup (160g) wholemeal flour
- 2 teaspoons bread improver
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (170g) raisins
- 1/4 cup (50g) mixed peel
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk