How to Make:
- Cut watermelon into 6 wedges then remove flesh from skin. Discard skin. Cut each wedge into 1cm-thick triangular slices. Place watermelon into a heatproof bowl with halved cherries.
- Using a small knife, split vanilla bean in half lengthways then using knife tip, scrape seeds into a small saucepan. Add scraped bean, sugar, cloves and 400ml water. Cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes then pour mixture over fruit in bowl. Add lemon juice and toss gently to combine. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Meanwhile, place pistachios in a heatproof bowl. Pour boiling water over to cover. Stand for 1 minute then drain. Using your fingers, rub skins from warm pistachios then pat dry. To serve, stir pistachios into fruit salad then spoon into a large bowl. Serve with crisp biscuits, or as an accompaniment to slices of butter cake, or spooned over scoops of vanilla bean ice-cream.
Time for preparing:10 min. PT10M
- 2.5kg (about 1/2 small) seedless watermelon
- 1kg cherries, halved and pitted
- 1 vanilla bean
- 300g caster sugar
- 5 cloves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 80g pistachios