How to Make:
- Place apricots in a heatproof bowl. Pour over boiling water. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes or until apricots have softened and absorbed all the water.
- Sift flour and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Stir in sugar. Make a well in the centre. Add apricots, egg and buttermilk. Using a metal spoon, gently fold until just combined.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat. Brush with melted butter. Using 1 tablespoon batter per pikelet, cook pikelets, in batches, for 1 to 2 minutes or until small bubbles appear on surface. Turn pikelets over and cook for a further 1 to 2 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Transfer pikelets to a plate and cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining butter and batter.
- Serve pikelets with cream.
Time for preparing:10 min. PT10M
- 70g dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 30g butter, melted
- Whipped thickened cream, to serve