How to Make:
- Stir milk and 1/3 cup sugar in a saucepan over low heat until lukewarm. Turn off heat. Stir in yeast, then stand on stovetop for 10 minutes or until mixture is foamy.
- Sift 4 cups flour, spices and 1/4 teaspoon salt into a bowl. Stir in fruit. Add yeast mixture, egg and butter then stir until mixture forms a dough. Knead on a floured surface for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Stand in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Divide dough into 16 pieces and shape into balls. Place in a greased 23cm square cake tin. Cover with plastic wrap then stand in a warm place for 30 minutes or until risen level with tin's rim.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Stir remaining flour, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/4 cup water until smooth. Spoon into a piping bag then pipe crosses over buns. Bake for 10 minutes then reduce oven to 180°C and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and risen. Turn on to a wire rack to cool. Stir remaining 1/3 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a saucepan over low-medium heat until sugar dissolves then bring to the boil. Brush hot syrup over top of buns. Serve.
Time for preparing:30 min. PT30M
- 1 1/4 cups (310ml) milk
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 2 x 7g sachets dried yeast
- 4 1/3 cups (650g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup (190g) mixed dried fruit
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 100g unsalted butter, melted, cooled