How to Make:
- Make Gingerbread Cake: Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 20cm square cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper. Using an electric mixer, beat cake mixes, eggs, milk, butter, ground ginger and golden syrup for 3 minutes or until well combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out, top-side up, onto a baking paper-lined wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make Spiced Caramel Sauce: Place butter, sugar, cream, spice and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until butter has melted and mixture is combined. Bring to a simmer. Simmer over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool for 10 minutes. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Cover. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours until cold and thick.
- Trim edges of cake and discard. Cut cake into 3cm pieces. Place 1/2 the cake pieces into the base of a 14cm-deep, 20cm round (16-cup-capacity) trifle bowl. Drizzle with 1/2 the brandy. Spoon over 1/2 the custard. Drizzle with 1/3 of the Spiced Caramel Sauce. Repeat layers, finishing with a thick layer of Spiced Caramel Sauce. Cover trifle with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- Process large gingerbread men in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Using an electric mixer, beat cream and vanilla until just-firm peaks form. Top trifle with gingerbread crumbs. Dollop cream mixture over trifle. Decorate with gingerbread men. Dust with icing sugar. Serve.
Time for preparing:75 min. PT75M
- 1/3 cup brandy
- 900g tub double thick vanilla custard
- 8 large gingerbread men
- 600ml thickened cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Gingerbread men, (large and mini) extra, to decorate
- Icing sugar, to decorate Gingerbread cake
- 2 x 340g bags butter cake mix (see note)
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 120g butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1/2 cup golden syrup Spiced caramel sauce
- 75g butter, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 300ml thickened cream
- 3/4 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt