How to Make:
- To make the passionfruit curd, strain the egg through a fine sieve into a medium saucepan. Add the sugar, butter, passionfruit pulp, lemon juice, lemon rind and cornflour. Place over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 mins or until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Place in the fridge for 2 hours to chill.
- Meanwhile, to make the shortcrust pastry, place the butter, flour, almond meal and icing sugar in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and water and process until mixture just comes together. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until just smooth. Shape into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 30 mins to rest.
- Divide the pastry into 6 portions. Roll out each portion on a lightly floured surface to a 12cm disc. Line six 8cm (base measurement) fluted tart tins, with removable bases, with the pastry discs. Use a small sharp knife to trim edges. Place in the fridge for 30 mins to rest.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Place the pastry cases on a baking tray. Line each case with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or rice. Bake for 8 mins or until golden. Remove the paper and pastry weights or rice. Bake for a further 8 mins or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 100C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Use an electric mixer to whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tbs at a time, beating well after each addition, until the meringue is thick and glossy and the sugar is completely dissolved. Spoon half the meringue mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain nozzle. Spoon remaining meringue mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm fluted nozzle. Pipe small meringues, in varying sizes, on the lined tray. Bake for 30 mins or until dry to the touch. Leave meringues in oven with door ajar to cool completely.
- Carefully remove the tart cases from tins. Place on serving plates. Spoon the passionfruit curd evenly among pastry cases. Decorate with meringues.
Time for preparing:55 min. PT55M
- 2 Coles Brand Australian Free Range Egg whites
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar Passionfruit curd
- 3 Coles Brand Australian Free Range Eggs, whisked
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 100g butter, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125ml) fresh passionfruit pulp
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons cornflour Shortcrust pastry
- 125g chilled butter, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups (185g) plain flour
- 1/4 cup (30g) almond meal
- 1/3 cup (55g) icing sugar mixture
- 1 Coles Brand Australian Free Range Egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon chilled water