How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Line 3 baking trays with baking paper. Mark a 12cm x 25cm rectangle on each piece of paper. Place coffee in a bowl. Add boiling water. Stir until coffee has dissolved. Cool.
- Grate 200g chocolate. Using an electric mixer, beat 3 egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gradually beat in half the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dissolved. Beat for 3 minutes or until meringue is glossy. Fold in half the coffee mixture and 1/4 of the grated chocolate until just combined. Spread 1/3 of the mixture inside 1 rectangle. Repeat with remaining meringue mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until firm and crisp. Remove from oven. Turn out meringue onto sheets of baking paper. Remove and discard baking paper from top of meringue. Turn top-side up onto racks. Set aside to cool completely.
- Line baking trays with more baking paper and mark a 12cm x 25cm rectangle on each. Repeat process with remaining eggs, sugar, coffee mixture and 1/3 of grated chocolate.
- Break remaining 200g chocolate into a heatproof bowl. Place over a saucepan of simmering water. Cook, stirring occasionally with a metal spoon, for 4 to 5 minutes or until melted and smooth. Drizzle each meringue with chocolate.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream until soft peaks form. Fold in mascarpone and liqueur. Place 1 meringue rectangle on a platter. Spread with 1/6 mascarpone mixture. Repeat twice, finishing with mascarpone mixture. Sprinkle with half the remaining grated chocolate. Repeat with remaining meringue rectangles, mascarpone mixture and grated chocolate. Serve.
Time for preparing:25 min. PT25M
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee powder
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 2 x 200g blocks milk chocolate
- 6 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 600ml tub thickened cream
- 500g mascarpone
- 2 tablespoons coffee-flavoured liqueur