How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a 1.5L (6-cup) capacity ovenproof dish with melted butter. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. This makes it easier to clean if the mixture spills over. Sift flour and cocoa into a bowl. Stir in caster sugar.
- Whisk the milk, egg and butter in a jug until combined. Add to flour mixture. Use a wooden spoon to stir until smooth. Pour into prepared dish. Use the back of a spoon to smooth the surface. This helps the pudding cook evenly.
- For the sauce, combine the brown sugar and extra cocoa in a bowl. Sprinkle evenly over pudding mixture. Combine boiling water and coffee in a jug. Gradually pour over the back of a spoon onto the pudding. This helps it rise evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a cake-like top forms and a skewer inserted halfway into the centre comes out clean. Don't put the skewer all the way through – you won’t be able to tell if it's cooked if you skewer the sauce, too.
- Set pudding aside for 5 minutes to stand. This allows the sauce below the cake-like surface to thicken and cool slightly before serving. For best results, serve the pudding hot or the cake will soak up some of the sauce.
Time for preparing:40 min. PT40M
- Melted butter, to grease
- 150g (1 cup) self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 125ml (1/2 cup) milk
- 1 egg
- 70g butter, melted, cooled
- 80g (1/2 cup, lightly packed) brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, extra, sifted
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) boiling water
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- Double cream, to serve