How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add egg yolk and beat until just combined. Sift over the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger, cinnamon and cloves; use a wooden spoon to stir to combine. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until smooth.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to 3mm thick. Use 5cm snowflake and star pastry cutters to cut out shapes from dough. Place on the prepared trays.
- Bake in preheated oven, swapping trays halfway through cooking, for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and set aside on the trays to cool.
- To make the royal icing, sift the icing sugar into a small bowl. Add the lemon juice and enough of the eggwhite to form a firm paste. Place in a piping bag fitted with a 1mm nozzle. Pipe royal icing onto the gingerbread biscuits. Set aside for 1 hour to set. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Time for preparing:10 min. PT10M
- 125g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) golden syrup
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/2 cups (375g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves Royal icing
- 1 1/2 cups (230g) pure icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 eggwhite, lightly whisked