How to Make:
- Place butter, sugar and treacle in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir for 3-5 minutes or until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the egg to butter mixture and stir to combine. Sift in the flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Stir until well combined. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until smooth. Shape into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in fridge for 1 hour to rest.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Divide dough into 2 even portions. Roll out 1 portion on a lightly floured surface until 5mm thick. Use a 7cm star-shaped cutter to cut stars from the dough. Place on prepared trays. Bake for 5-7 minutes or until golden. Set aside on trays for 5 minutes to cool before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place the egg white in a bowl. Use a fork to whisk until foamy. Sift over the icing sugar and stir until smooth. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 2-3mm plain nozzle. Pipe onto biscuits to decorate. Set aside to set.
Time for preparing:20 min. PT20M
- 50g unsalted butter
- 60g (1/3 cup, lightly packed) brown sugar
- 60ml (1/4 cup) treacle
- 1 egg
- 265g (1 3/4 cups) plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Large pinch of ground cloves
- Large pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 egg white
- 230g (1 1/2 cups) pure icing sugar