How to Make:
- To make the chocolate ice-cream, bring the cream and milk to a simmer in a large saucepan. Remove from heat. Stir in the chocolate. Set aside for 5 minutes to melt. Stir. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a separate bowl until thick and pale, and a ribbon trail forms when the whisk is lifted. Whisk in the chocolate mixture.
- Pour into a clean large saucepan. Stir over low heat for 20 minutes or until custard coats the back of the spoon and leaves a trail when you run your finger through it. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Cover surface of custard with plastic wrap to prevent a skin forming. Set aside for 30 minutes to cool. Place in fridge for 8 hours or overnight to chill.
- Pour custard into a chilled 3L (12-cup) roasting pan. Cover with foil. Place in the freezer for 6-8 hours or until almost set.
- Meanwhile, to make the red velvet cake, preheat oven to 180°C. Line two 2cm-deep, 25 x 38cm baking trays with baking paper. Use an electric beater to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl until pale and creamy. Beat in the egg. Stir in cocoa powder, food colouring, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder. Fold in flour and buttermilk until just smooth. Divide between lined trays. Smooth the surface. Bake, swapping trays halfway through cooking, for 12-15 minutes or a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool.
- Grease a 34cm-long, 22cm (base measurement) croquembouche mould. Line with baking paper. Cut 1 cake lengthways into three 12cm-wide, 38cm-long triangles and two 6cm-wide, 38cm-long triangles. Cut a 12cm-wide, 38cm-long triangle from the remaining cake. Reserve excess cake. Trim 2cm from the tip of each triangle. Stand the lined mould upright. Use the 4 large cake triangles and 2 small cake triangles to line the side of the mould completely.
- Use an electric beater to beat the chocolate ice-cream in a bowl for 3 minutes or until smooth. Spoon into prepared mould . Place in freezer for 1-2 hours or until partially frozen. Make a 10cm-wide, 11cm-deep well in the centre. Place in freezer for 2 hours or until firm. Trim excess cake.
- To make the cherry sorbet, place the sorbet in a metal bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes to soften slightly. Stir in half the jam. Fold in remaining jam to create a swirled effect . Spoon into the well in the chocolate ice-cream . Cut 2 semicircles from the reserved cake. Place on the ice-cream to cover completely, cutting to fit. Place in the freezer for 8 hours or overnight, or until firm.
- To make the Italian meringue, stir half the sugar and half the water in a saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves, brushing down the side of the pan with a wet pastry brush. Increase heat to medium-high. Cook, without stirring, for 3-5 minutes or until the syrup reaches 115°C (soft ball stage). While the syrup continues to cook, use an electric beater to whisk half the egg whites and half the cream of tartar in a bowl until soft peaks form. When the syrup reaches 121°C (hard ball stage) gradually add syrup to egg white mixture with the beater on low speed. Increase speed to high. Whisk for 15 minutes or until thick, glossy and cool.
- Turn the cake onto a large platter. Spoon the meringue into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm star-shaped nozzle. Pipe peaks over the bottom half of the cake. Use a blowtorch to caramelise the meringue. Place in freezer until required. Repeat with remaining sugar, water, egg whites and cream of tartar. Pipe over the top half of the cake. Use a blowtorch to caramelise the meringue.
Time for preparing:60 min. PT60M
- 1L thickened cream
- 625ml (2 1/2 cups) milk
- 2 x 200g pkts PLAISTOWE Premium Couverture Chocolate Melting Pieces
- 10 egg yolks
- 270g (1 1/4 cups) caster sugar Red velvet cake
- 250g butter, at room temperature
- 315g (1 1/2 cups) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, lightly whisked
- 50g (1/2 cup) PLAISTOWE Dutch Processed Cocoa, sifted
- 1 tablespoon red food colouring
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 450g (3 cups) plain flour
- 330ml (1 1/3 cup) buttermilk Cherry sorbet
- 1 1/2 cups Weis Sorbet Summer Berries
- 2 tablespoons cherry berry jam Italian meringue
- 485g (2 1/4 cups) caster sugar
- 80ml (1/3 cup) water
- 6 egg whites, at room temperature
- Large pinch of cream of tartar