How to Make:
- Place jelly crystals in a heatproof bowl. Add boiling water. Stir to dissolve crystals. Stir in 200ml cold water. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Stir in 2 tablespoons passionfruit pulp. Refrigerate for a further 30 minutes or until just starting to set (jelly should have a thick, syrupy consistency).
- Meanwhile, combine custard powder, sugar and 1/4 cup milk in a medium saucepan. Whisk until smooth. Add 1/2 cup cream and remaining milk. Place pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until custard comes to the boil. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover surface of custard with plastic wrap. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool slightly.
- Trim dark edges from sponge cakes and discard. Cut 1 sponge cake horizontally into 3 even layers. Use 1 1/2 pieces of cake to line the base of a 7cm-deep, 18.5cm round springform pan, lightly pressing and trimming cake to fit. Reserve remaining pieces of cake.
- Cut remaining whole sponge in half horizontally. Cut each piece in half lengthways. Cut each piece crossways into 3 pieces (you should have 12 pieces). Line side of pan with 10 pieces of cake (discard 2 remaining pieces), lightly pressing to secure to side of pan.
- Spoon half the jelly onto the cake layer in the pan. Freeze for 10 minutes or until just firm. Carefully spoon and spread half the custard over jelly. Freeze for 10 minutes or until just firm. Using a rolling pin, slightly flatten reserved cake pieces. Top custard with remaining cake, trimming to fit. Spoon remaining jelly over cake. Freeze for 10 minutes or until just firm. Carefully spoon and spread remaining custard over jelly. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- Using an electric mixer, beat remaining cream until stiff peaks form. Carefully remove cake from pan and place on a plate. Dollop with whipped cream. Top with strawberries and remaining passionfruit pulp. Serve.
Time for preparing:10 min. PT10M
- 85g packet mango jelly crystals
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 passionfruit
- 1/3 cup custard powder
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups thickened cream
- 450g packet unfilled double rectangular sponge cake slab (see note)
- 1/2 x 250g punnet strawberries, hulled, thickly sliced