How to Make:
- Cut the top and bottom off the watermelon (the watermelon should be about 15cm high). Reserve the top and bottom pieces. Stand upright on a chopping board and carefully cut around the watermelon to remove the rind and make a cylinder shape. Cut the watermelon crossways, twice, to make 3 layers.
- Place each piece of watermelon on a tray lined with paper towel to drain well.
- Use electric beaters to beat double cream, thickened cream, icing sugar mixture and vanilla in a bowl until firm peaks start to form (do not overbeat or it will curdle). Place 1 piece of watermelon on a serving plate. Spread with a little of the cream mixture. Top with another piece. Repeat the layers, finishing with a watermelon layer on top.
- Pat outside of watermelon stack with paper towel to dry as much as possible (you need to do this or your cream won’t stick). Spread top and sides with remaining cream mixture to cover. Place in fridge for 10 minutes to chill.
- Meanwhile, use a melon baller to scoop balls out of the reserved watermelon pieces. Repeat with the honeydew and rockmelon.
- Top the watermelon cake with the honeydew, rockmelon and watermelon balls. Sprinkle with mint leaves.
Time for preparing:10 min. PT10M
- 6.5kg whole watermelon
- 600ml double cream
- 60ml (1/4 cup) thickened cream
- 80g (1/2 cup) icing sugar mixture
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 honeydew melon, deseeded
- 1/4 rockmelon, deseeded
- Baby mint leaves, to serve