How to Make:
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Beat the whole eggs, egg yolk and vanilla extract together lightly (you don't want them to become too frothy).
- Place the cream in a pan with the sugar, stirring to dissolve. Heat to just below boiling point then pour onto the eggs and stir to combine. Strain through a sieve into a 1-litre (4-cup) capacity baking dish.
- Stand in a roasting pan half-filled with hot water. Sprinkle the top with nutmeg. Bake for about 30-35 minutes: it should still wobble slightly.
- Serve hot, warm or chilled with poached fruits, a dollop of jam or just on its own.
Time for preparing:35 min. PT35M
- 3 eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 450ml cream or half milk, half cream
- 60g caster sugar
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to dust