How to Make:
- To make the profiteroles, preheat oven to 200°C. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Place the water and butter in a heavy-based medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the butter melts and the mixture comes to the boil. Remove from the heat. Add the flour and use a wooden spoon to stir until mixture forms a ball and comes away from the side of the pan. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl. Use an electric beater to gradually beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, until the mixture is thick and glossy. Place a 2cm diameter piping nozzle into a clean piping bag and spoon in the mixture. Pipe small discs, about 3cm in diameter, about 3cm apart, on the lined trays. Bake in preheated oven, swapping trays halfway through cooking, for 30 minutes or until puffed and golden. Turn oven off, leaving the profiteroles in the oven for 1 hour to dry.
- To make the vanilla bean custard, heat the milk and vanilla bean in a heavy-based medium saucepan over medium heat until the milk just comes to the boil. Use tongs to remove the vanilla bean. Use a sharp knife to scrape the vanilla seeds into the milk and discard the pod.
- Combine the sugar and egg yolks in a large heatproof bowl. Use a balloon whisk to whisk until thick and pale. Add flour and cornflour and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined. Gradually stir the milk into the egg mixture. Return to a clean saucepan and use a wooden spoon to stir over low heat for 20 minutes or until the custard comes to the boil and thickens. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl. Cover surface with non-stick baking paper and set aside for 30 minutes to cool slightly. Place in the fridge for 4 hours to chill.
- Use kitchen scissors to split the puffs in half horizontally. Spoon the chilled custard into the base of each puff. Top with a raspberry and replace top of puff. Place on a serving platter and dust with icing sugar. Serve immediately.
Time for preparing:55 min. PT55M
- 240g fresh raspberries
- Icing sugar, to dust profiteroles
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 125g butter, chopped
- 150g (1 cup) plain flour, sifted
- 4 eggs, at room temperature vanilla bean custard
- 600ml milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthways
- 220g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 40g (1/4 cup) plain flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoons cornflour