How to Make:
- Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Use an electric beater to beat the butter and icing sugar together in a medium bowl until light and creamy. Add the egg and vanilla essence and beat until well combined.
- Sift together the plain and self-raising flours and add to the butter mixture. Use a round-bladed knife in a cutting motion to mix together until just combined. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and use your hands to lightly knead until the mixture forms a soft dough. Divide the dough into 2 portions. Place one portion between 2 sheets of non-stick baking paper and roll out to 3mm thick. Place on the prepared tray. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Use a 7cm-diameter fluted pastry cutter to cut 10 biscuits out of each dough portion. Then use a 4cm-diameter round pastry cutter to cut out the centre of each biscuit. Discard excess dough. Brush the biscuits with the extra whisked egg, then sprinkle evenly with the demerara sugar, taking care not to get any sugar in the centre. Carefully place the biscuits on 2 lined baking trays and bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes. Remove the trays from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, divide the caster sugar between two small frying pans and place each pan over low heat. Stir with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes or until the sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes or until toffee is golden. Remove from heat and set aside to allow bubbles to subside. Add a few drops of red liquid food colouring to one of the toffees and stir until combined. Repeat with yellow liquid food colouring and remaining toffee. Use a teaspoon to drop small amounts of the red and yellow toffee to fill the centre of each biscuit. Swirl with the tip of the spoon.
- Bake the biscuits, swapping the trays halfway through cooking, for a further 5-6 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and set aside for 10 minutes to stand before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Time for preparing:20 min. PT20M
- 170g butter, at room temperature
- 80g (1/2 cup) icing sugar mixture
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 300g (2 cups) plain flour
- 50g (1/3 cup) self-raising flour
- 1 egg, lightly whisked, extra
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 335g (1 1/2 cups) caster sugar
- 4-5 drops red liquid food colouring
- 4-5 drops yellow liquid food colouring