How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- For cake, using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time until combined, then beat in yoghurt. Sift over semolina, ground almonds, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda, and stir until combined.
- Spoon batter into a greased and baking paper-lined 20cm x 30cm slice tin. Level the top and, with a knife, score lightly into approximately 4cm diamond shapes (or squares) and place a whole almond in the centre of each. Bake for 35 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for strawberries, combine sugar and 550ml water in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Add lemon juice, bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes. Place one-third of the syrup in a bowl with the rosewater and strawberries. When the cake is cooked, pour over remaining syrup. Leave cake to cool in tin, then cut as scored.
- Serve cake with strawberries in rose syrup, with a spoonful of extra yoghurt.
Time for preparing:17 min. PT17M
- 125g unsalted butter
- 165g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 250g Tamar Valley Greek Style Yoghurt, plus extra, to serve
- 270g (1 1/2 cups) fine semolina
- 60g (1/2 cup) ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 30 whole blanched almonds Strawberries in rose syrup
- 330g (1 1/2 cups) caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rosewater (see note)
- 500g small strawberries, hulled