How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line base and sides of a 6cm deep, 23cm (base) springform cake pan.
- Place almonds on a tray and bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until light golden. Allow to cool. Place almonds in a food processor and process until finely chopped (not ground).
- Meanwhile, combine butter, coffee and chocolate in a heatproof, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring every minute, until almost smooth. Add cocoa and whisk until smooth. Add 1/2 cup sugar, egg yolks and almonds. Stir to combine.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggwhites until soft peaks form. Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating constantly until thick. Fold meringue into chocolate mixture until just combined. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre has moist crumbs clinging.
- Cool cake completely in pan. Release side and transfer to a plate. Dust with cocoa and serve with cream.
Time for preparing:55 min. PT55M
- 125g slivered almonds
- 125g butter, chopped
- 2 tablespoons strongly brewed black coffee
- 200g good-quality dark chocolate (see note), chopped
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- Cocoa powder, to serve
- Pure cream, to serve