How to Make:
- Combine the ice-cream, maple syrup and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Transfer to a shallow metal container and cover with foil. Place in the freezer for 4 hours or until firm.
- To make pastry, place flour, custard powder, butter and sugar in the bowl of a food processor and process until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk and water and process until dough just comes together. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Shape into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Divide the pastry into 8 equal portions. Roll out 1 portion to a 3mm-thick disc. Line a round 8cm (base measurement) fluted tart tin, with removable base, with pastry and trim any excess. Repeat with the remaining pastry. Place in the fridge for 15 minutes to rest.
- Cover pastry with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or rice. Place on a baking tray and bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove paper and pastry weights or rice. Bake for a further 8-10 minutes or until golden. Reduce temperature to 180°C.
- To make the pecan filling, combine the egg, maple syrup, sugar, butter and pecans in a bowl. Spoon evenly among bases. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until set. Set aside for 1 hour to cool.
- Divide pies among serving plates. Top with ice-cream to serve.
Time for preparing:50 min. PT50M
- 1 x 1L good-quality vanilla ice-cream, softened
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon Pastry
- 265g (1 3/4 cups) plain flour
- 70g (1/2 cup) custard powder
- 250g chilled butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 teaspoons iced water Pecan filling
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 185ml (3/4 cup) maple syrup
- 100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 50g butter, melted
- 300g pecans, coarsely chopped