How to Make:
- To make the smashed pavlova, position a rack in centre of oven and preheat oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Line a 33cm x 45cm rimmed baking tray with baking paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add the sugar, beating on medium-high speed for 10 mins or until firm glossy peaks form. Beat in vinegar, vanilla and salt. Sift cornflour over the meringue and gently fold in.
- Using a large metal spoon, spoon 8 large dollops of meringue onto the prepared tray. Using an offset spatula or palette knife, gently spread meringue into an even layer.
- Place the meringue in oven. Immediately reduce temperature to 105°C (85°C fan-forced). Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until meringue is crisp on the outside but has a marshmallow-like centre and puffs ever so slightly. Turn oven off. Prop oven door open with a wooden spoon and leave meringue in oven for 30 mins to cool, then remove from oven and cool completely.
- Gently run a palette knife along the edges of the pavlova to loosen from the baking paper. Place another baking tray over the pavlova and invert. Carefully remove paper. Invert the pavlova back into the first tray. Gently lift the corner and break the pavlova into large pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss cherries, sugar, lemon juice and almond extract to coat. Let stand at room temperature, tossing occasionally, for 30 mins or until juices form. Gently fold in the raspberries.
- In a large bowl, using a hand-held electric mixer, beat cream with the amaretto, if using, until stiff peaks form.
- Layer some pavlova pieces in the base of a trifle dish. Top with dollops of cream mixture and spoonfuls of cherry mixture. Sprinkle with almonds. Continue layering with remaining pavlova, cream mixture, cherry mixture and almonds. Chill for 30 mins before serving.
Time for preparing:90 min. PT90M
- 6 extra-large Coles Australian Free Range Egg whites, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (330g) caster sugar
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt flakes
- 2 tbs cornflour Cherry trifle
- 300g cherries, halved, pitted
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 250g raspberries
- 600ml thickened cream
- 1/3 cup (80ml) amaretto liqueur (optional)
- 1/4 cup (20g) natural sliced almonds, toasted