How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 160C/140C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 22cm round cake pan. Line base and side with 2 layers of baking paper.
- Place butter and syrup in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until butter has melted. Remove from heat. Cool 10 minutes.
- Add egg and sugar to butter mixture. Whisk to combine. Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and mixed spice over mixture. Add milk. Whisk to combine. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make Spiced Caramel Sauce Stir sugar and 2/3 cup water in a saucepan over medium heat, without boiling, for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Boil, without stirring, for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from heat. Carefully stir in butter and spices, followed by cream. Cool completely.
- Grease a 6cm-deep, 20cm round (base) springform pan. Line base and sides with 2 layers of baking paper, extending paper 5cm above edge. Trim top of cake to form a 2cm-thick base (reserve trimmings). Place cake, cut-side up, in pan (fit will be snug).
- Place 1 litre ice-cream in a large bowl. Stand for 10 minutes to soften (it should not be melted). Roughly chop reserved cake trimmings. Add 2 tablespoons caramel sauce and ¹⁄³ of chopped cake to ice-cream. Fold until just combined. Spoon ice-cream over cake in pan. Level top with a spatula. Reserve 1 cookie. Top ice-cream layer with 8 cookies, trimming to fit. Repeat process, finishing with remaining ice-cream. Cover with plastic wrap. Freeze overnight.
- Crumble reserved cookie into fine crumbs. Stand ice-cream cake at room temperature for 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate. Using an electric mixer, beat cream until just-firm peaks form. Top cake with cream, kisses and biscuit crumbs. Drizzle with sauce. Serve immediately.
Time for preparing:55 min. PT55M
- 60g butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup golden syrup
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 litres vanilla ice-cream
- 1/2 x 400g packet Dutch spiced cookies
- 600ml thickened cream
- Ginger kisses, to serve Spiced Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 100g butter, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 1/2 cup thickened cream