How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves in a large bowl.
- Combine the butter, sugar and treacle in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until butter melts and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Add to the flour mixture with the egg and stir until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 2 hours or until firm.
- Place the demerara sugar on a large plate. Roll tablespoonsful of dough into balls and roll in sugar to coat. Place on the lined trays and press to flatten to a 4cm disc. Bake in preheated oven, swapping trays halfway through cooking, for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside on trays to cool completely.
Time for preparing:20 min. PT20M
- 2 1/2 cups (375g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 180g butter
- 1 cup (200g) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) treacle
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1/2 cup (110g) demerara sugar