How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
- Place the flour, cacao, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, mixed spice, bicarb and butter in a food processor. Process until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add the egg and 1 1/2 tbs water. Process until the mixture just comes together, adding the remaining water if necessary.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead until just smooth. Divide the dough in half. Roll out 1 half on a lightly floured sheet of baking paper until 3mm thick. Slide the dough onto a tray and place in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to rest.
- Use lightly floured Christmas cookie cutters to cut shapes from the dough. Transfer to prepared trays. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until light golden and almost crisp. Cool on trays for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining dough, re-rolling any scraps.
- Make the icing following packet directions. Divide the icing among 3 bowls. Tint 1 portion with red colouring and 1 portion with green colouring. Decorate the biscuits. Set aside for 5 minutes to set.
Time for preparing:20 min. PT20M
- 225g (1 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) dark brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 80g chilled butter, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- 330g pkt Queen Royal Icing
- Red and green food colouring, to tint