How to Make:
- Place the flour, salt and thyme in a bowl. Add the egg whites, 250ml of the water and half the olive oil. Stir until the dough comes together, adding remaining water if needed.
- Place on a lightly floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes or until smooth. Shape the dough into a ball and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes, to rest.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan forced. For the herb and lemon butter, place the butter, parsley, tarragon, thyme and lemon rind in a small bowl and stir until well combined.
- Place the chicken on a work surface. Run your fingers under the skin of the chicken to loosen and create a pocket. Press butter mixture into the pocket and spread evenly to coat the chicken. Drizzle with remaining oil.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Roll the dough out on a floured surface large enough to fit over the chicken (about a 45 x 50cm rectangle). Place the chicken, breast-side down, on pastry.
- Fold the pastry over the chicken to fully enclose. Seal well. Turn over and place on the prepared tray. Bake for 1 hour 35 minutes. Set aside for 15 minutes to rest. Break the crust and discard. Carve chicken.
Time for preparing:95 min. PT95M
- 600g (4 cups) plain flour
- 540g (2 cups) cooking salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 egg whites
- 250-300ml water
- 80ml (1/3 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 1.8kg whole chicken Herb & lemon butter
- 100g butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup fresh continental parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, finely grated