How to Make:
- Season the chicken cutlets well. Heat 1 tbs olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes each side or until browned all over. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the mushroom to the pan and cook, stirring, over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Transfer to a bowl. Add the remaining 1 tbs oil to pan. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until just beginning to soften.
- Add the chopped tomato and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add the capsicum and carrot and cook for 2 minutes. Add wine and simmer for 5 minutes or until liquid has reduced by half.
- Return the chicken and mushroom to the pan. Add the stock, grape or cherry tomatoes, and the olives. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Uncover and simmer for a further 20 minutes or until the liquid has reduced and sauce has thickened. Stir in the chopped oregano. Season.
- Divide the chicken cacciatore among serving bowls and scatter with extra oregano sprigs. Serve with sourdough, if you like.
Time for preparing:65 min. PT65M
- 6 (about 1.1kg) chicken thigh cutlets, skin removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 200g Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded, chopped
- 1 yellow capsicum, deseeded, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, chopped
- 125ml (1/2 cup) white wine
- 250ml (1 cup) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 200g punnet grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 60g (1/4 cup) kalamata olives, pitted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves, plus extra sprigs, to serve
- Crusty sourdough bread, to serve (optional)