How to Make:
- Heat half the oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Season beef. Cook, in batches, turning, for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add remaining oil to pan. Cook mushrooms, stirring, for 3-5 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- Add onion, garlic, carrot and zucchini to pan. Cook, stirring, for 5-10 minutes or until just softened. Return beef to pan. Add tomato, water and thyme. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Add cauliflower, lentils and cooked mushrooms. Cook, covered, for 20 minutes. Cook, uncovered, for a further 15-20 minutes or until liquid has reduced. Remove from heat. Stir in peas. Season. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Transfer the beef mixture to a 5cm-deep x 26cm (base measurement) pie dish. Place the filo on a clean work surface. Cover with a dry tea towel, then a damp tea towel (this will prevent it from drying out). Lightly spray 1 filo sheet with olive oil. Place over beef mixture. Repeat with remaining filo and olive oil spray, overlapping to cover surface of pie dish, and tucking in the edges to seal. Lightly spray top with olive oil. Sprinkle with extra thyme, if using. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until crisp and golden.
Time for preparing:220 min. PT220M
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1kg beef chuck steak, cut into 3cm pieces
- 200g Swiss brown mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, finely chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 150ml water
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs, plus extra, to sprinkle (optional)
- 1/2 (about 600g) small cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 400g can lentils, rinsed, drained
- 150g (1 cup) frozen peas
- 5 sheets buckwheat filo pastry or regular filo pastry