How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Place onion and garlic on prepared tray. Drizzle with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes or until just starting to caramelise and soften.
- Meanwhile, place maple syrup, balsamic vinegar and thyme leaves in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Stand for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Remove baking tray from oven. Place salmon on top of onion and garlic. Brush salmon with maple mixture. Bake for 15 minutes, brushing salmon with glaze every 5 minutes, or until salmon is cooked to medium (see note). 5 Serve salmon with garlic and onion, and sprinkle with extra thyme sprigs.
Time for preparing:35 min. PT35M
- 6 pickling onions, cut into thin wedges
- 1 garlic bulb, halved horizontally
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, plus extra sprigs to serve
- 1.5kg whole side of salmon (skin on)