How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Grease six 185ml (3/4 cup) Texas muffin pans. Put dates and water in a saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat. Simmer, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in bicarb. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- Meanwhile, use electric beaters to beat coconut oil and 2 tbs of the sugar until pale and creamy. Add 1 tbs of the flour and 1 egg. Beat to combine. Repeat with 1 tbs flour and 1 egg. Stir in apple and half the remaining flour. Add baking powder, cinnamon, date mixture and remaining flour. Stir until just combined.
- Divide among pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place cornflour and remaining sugar in saucepan. Whisk in milk, vanilla and salt. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute or until mixture boils and thickens.
- Cool sauce for 2 minutes. Pour over cakes.
Time for preparing:30 min. PT30M
- 135g (3/4 cup) dried dates, pitted
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 60ml (1/4 cup) solid coconut oil
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 240g (1 1/2 cups) white spelt flour, sieved
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 Granny Smith apple, coarsely grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon cornflour
- 80ml (1/3 cup) reduced-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt flakes