How to Make:
- Chop dried mango, prunes and apricots to size of a sultana, then place in a bowl with sultanas, cranberries, brandy and orange juice. Cover and leave to soak overnight.
- Grease a 1.5-litre pudding basin and line the base with a circle of buttered baking paper.
- Add remaining ingredients, except fresh mango, to fruit mixture and stir to combine well. Firmly pack into pudding basin. Fold a pleat into a piece of buttered baking paper (this will allow room for the pudding to expand) and use to cover basin. Top with a double layer of pleated foil, then tie tightly around edges of basin with string.
- Place an upturned plate in base of a large saucepan. Sit basin on plate, then pour in enough water to come halfway up sides of basin. Cover and bring to boil, then simmer over low heat for 6 hours, topping up with water as needed. Remove pudding and cool.
- Cover with new paper and foil, then refrigerate until needed.
- To reheat, simmer pudding in basin using the same method for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- For brown sugar cream, beat ingredients together until sugar dissolves. Chill until ready to serve.
- For spun sugar, place a couple of sheets of newspaper on the floor next to the kitchen bench. Lightly oil the handle of a wooden spoon and place a wooden spoon on the edge of the counter, with the handle over the edge (above the paper) and the other end weighed down with a chopping board.
- Place a heavy-based pan over medium heat. Gradually add sugar, adding more as it melt, stirring to get rid of lumps and prevent from burning. Cook 5-10 minutes until sugar is golden brown, then fill sink with cold water and place base of pan in the water to cool toffee slightly.
- Hold two forks back to back in one hand. Dip forks in the toffee and run the toffee back and forth over the spoon handle, re-dipping until all toffee has been used. If toffee becomes hard, just warm slightly and continue. Remove toffee from spoon handle as you go and form into a crown shape with your hands (be careful as it's quite fragile).
- Serve pudding with spun sugar crown, brown sugar cream and fresh mango.
Time for preparing:670 min. PT670M
- 125g dried mango*
- 125g pitted soft prunes
- 125g dried apricots
- 125g sultanas
- 125g dried cranberries (Craisins)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) brandy
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 75g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 50g toasted macadamias, chopped
- 200g light muscovado* or brown sugar
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- Fresh sliced mango, to serve Brown sugar cream
- 300ml creme fraiche or sour cream
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar Spun sugar
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar