How to Make:
- Place dried fruit, brandy, wine, conserve and spices into a bowl. Mix well. Cover. Stand overnight, stirring occasionally.
- Grease a 10-cup capacity pudding basin with melted butter. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Brush with butter again. Line base of bowl with baking paper.
- Whisk eggs and butter together. Add to fruit mixture with sugar. Sift flours and bicarbonate of soda over fruit mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Spoon into prepared basin.
- Cut 1 large sheet of foil and 1 large sheet of baking paper. Lay paper over foil. Make a pleat in the centre. Place, paper-side down, over pudding. Secure with string.
- Place an upturned saucer into the base of a large, deep saucepan. Place basin onto saucer. Pour hot water into saucepan so it comes one-third of the way up the side of the basin. Cover with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 hours. Remove pudding from water. Stand for 30 minutes. Turn onto a platter. Serve with cream. Alternatively, cool completely then store.
Time for preparing:635 min. PT635M
- 375g raisins, roughly chopped
- 375g sultanas
- 250g currants
- 200g dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 150g pitted prunes, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup brandy
- 1/4 cup green ginger wine
- 1/2 cup blackcurrant conserve
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon mixed spice
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 250g butter, melted, cooled
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Dairy Whip Whipped Cream, to serve