How to Make:
- Grease an 8-cup-capacity metal pudding steamer. Line base with baking paper.
- Place mixed dried fruit, cranberries, dates, apricots, sultanas, cherries, sugar, butter and 1 cup cold water in a heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir until butter has melted and sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to the boil. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in bicarbonate of soda. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Set aside for 30 minutes to cool.
- Stir in orange rind, egg, flours, mixed spice and brandy until well combined. Spoon into prepared steamer. Smooth top. Secure lid. Place steamer in a large saucepan. Carefully pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up side of steamer. Cover pan. Place over medium heat. Boil for 4 hours 30 minutes, topping up boiling water during cooking.
- Remove pan from heat. Carefully lift steamer from water. Stand for 10 minutes. Remove lid. Turn out pudding. Decorate with cherries and dust with icing sugar. Serve warm or cold with custard.
Time for preparing:280 min. PT280M
- 2 cups mixed dried fruit
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup pitted dried dates, chopped
- 1/4 cup diced dried apricots
- 1 cup sultanas
- 1/2 cup red glace cherries, quartered
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 125g butter, chopped
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1/4 cup brandy TO SERVE
- Fresh cherries
- Icing sugar mixture