How to Make:
- Soak the dried fruits and mixed peel in the brandy in a large bowl overnight.
- The next day, grease eight 1 cup (250ml) pudding basins and line the bases with circles of baking paper. Add almonds, zest, breadcrumbs, mixed spice, sugar, treacle, flour, apple, eggs and suet, stirring well to combine. Divide among pudding basins.
- Cut out squares of baking paper large enough to cover the basins and larger squares of foil. Lay a piece of foil on top of each piece of baking paper and fold a pleat through the centre. Cover puddings, foilside up, and secure with kitchen string.
- Place the puddings in a large saucepan and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the puddings. Cover and steam for 3 hours, topping up water as needed. (The puddings can be steamed, then cooled and kept in the fridge for up to 6 months. To reheat on the day, cover and steam for 30 minutes.)
- To make walnut crumbs: Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper. Place flour, sugar, cinnamon and nuts in a food processor and whiz to combine. Add butter and pulse until the mixture comes together in large clumps. Spread onto the baking tray and bake for 20 minutes, stirring once, or until golden. Allow to cool, then break into small clumps and serve.
- To serve, drizzle puddings with cream, garnish with berries and walnut crumbs.
Time for preparing:200 min. PT200M
- 150g raisins
- 150g sultanas
- 1/3 cup (50g) dried cherries or dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup (50g) pitted prunes, chopped
- 1/4 cup (50g) glace cherries, halved
- 1/3 cup (55g) mixed peel
- 150ml brandy
- 1/3 cup (55g) blanched almonds, chopped
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 1/2 cups (105g) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 200g dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons treacle
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour, sifted
- 1 small apple, grated
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 110g dry vegetarian suet (see note)
- Pure (thin) cream, to serve
- Raspberries, to serve
- Walnut crumbs, to serve Walnut crumbs (makes 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar (see note)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (25g) toasted walnuts, chopped
- 30g chilled unsalted butter, chopped