How to Make:
- Combine mixed dried fruit, apricots, dates, cranberries and 1/3 cup brandy in a glass or ceramic bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Stand overnight to allow flavours to develop.
- Place butter, sugar, 1/2 cup cold water and fruit mixture in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until butter is melted and sugar dissolved. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in bicarbonate of soda. Set aside to cool.
- Grease an 8 cup-capacity metal pudding steamer. Line base with a circle of baking paper.
- Add eggs to fruit mixture. Mix well. Stir in marmalade, flours, spice and remaining brandy until well combined. Pour mixture into prepared steamer. Tap on bench to remove any air bubbles. Level top with a spatula. Secure lid on steamer. Place in a large saucepan. Carefully pour boiling water into pan until halfway up side of steamer. Cover pan. Place over medium heat. Boil for 4 hours 30 minutes, topping up with boiling water when necessary.
- Remove pan from heat. Carefully lift steamer from water. Stand for 10 minutes. Remove lid. Turn pudding onto a plate.
- Make Maple poached oranges: Segment oranges over a bowl and squeeze membrane to release any extra juice. Place maple syrup and 1/4 cup cold water in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes or until syrup thickens slightly. Add orange segments and juice. Simmer for 2 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat.
- Serve pudding topped with a few maple poached oranges. Serve with remaining orange mixture and cream or custard.
Time for preparing:280 min. PT280M
- 500g mixed dried fruit
- 1/3 cup diced dried apricots
- 1/2 cup chopped dried dates
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 125g butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- Double cream or custard, to serve Maple poached oranges
- 4 large oranges, peeled
- 1/2 cup maple syrup