How to Make:
- Brush an 8 cup (2 litre) pudding basin with melted butter to grease. Line the base with rounds of baking paper.
- Combine the dried fruit, cherries, figs, pears, cranberries, dates, orange rind and juice in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes, or until fruits soften. Remove from heat and set aside for 30 minutes to cool. Add the brandy and stir to combine.
- Sift combined flours, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, mixed spice and nutmeg into a large bowl. Add fruit mixture, butter, brown sugar and eggs and stir until well combined. Gently spoon mixture into prepared pudding steamer, smooth top, and secure the lid.
- Place pudding basin into a large saucepan. Pour in enough boiling water to combine halfway up the side of the pan. Place over medium heat and bring to the boil. Cook, covered, topping up with extra boiling water if necessary, for 5 hours 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the pudding comes out clean.
- Remove steamer from saucepan, and set aside for 10 minutes before turning onto a serving plate. Serve immediately with custard, ice-cream or brandy butter, if desired.
Time for preparing:645 min. PT645M
- Melted butter, to grease
- 375g dried mixed fruit
- 75g glace cherries, quartered
- 75g dried figs, chopped
- 75g dried pears, chopped
- 75g dried cranberries
- 75g pitted dried dates, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely grated orange rind
- 1 cup (250ml) orange juice
- 1/3 cup (80ml) brandy
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 250g Western Star Chef’s Choice Unsalted butter, melted, cooled
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- Custard, ice-cream, or brandy butter, to serve