How to Make:
- Place eggplant on a plate. Sprinkle with salt. Stand for 5 minutes. Remove sausage meat from casings (see note). Discard casings. Break sausage meat into small pieces.
- Rinse eggplant under cold water. Pat dry with paper towel. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook sausage meat for 3 to 4 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Transfer sausage meat to a plate lined with paper towel. Carefully wipe pan clean. Return pan to heat. Spray eggplant with oil. Add eggplant to pan. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium?low. Add remaining oil to pan. Add onion. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add passata and 1 cup cold water. Season well with salt and pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, following packet directions, until just tender. Drain. Return to pan.
- Add sausage meat and eggplant to tomato mixture. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through. Add to pasta with half the ricotta. Toss to combine. Divide pasta among bowls. Top with remaining ricotta. Serve.
Time for preparing:20 min. PT20M
- 1 (280g) eggplant, cut into small cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 450g Italian-style pork and fennel sausages (see note)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 700g bottle tomato passata
- 400g dried rigatoni pasta
- 250g fresh ricotta, crumbled