How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Brush a round 22cm (base measurement) cake pan with melted butter to grease. Line the base and side with non-stick baking paper.
- Use an electric beater to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl, scraping down the side occasionally, for 8 minutes or until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the almond meal. Add half the flour and half the milk. Use a wooden spoon to stir until well combined. Repeat with remaining flour and milk.
- Arrange the apple, slightly overlapping, over the base of the prepared pan. Spoon the mixture into the pan and smooth the surface. Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for 10 minutes to cool slightly before turning onto a serving plate. Serve warm with custard.
Time for preparing:35 min. PT35M
- Melted butter, to grease
- 180g butter, at room temperature, chopped
- 140g (2/3 cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 100g (1 cup) almond meal
- 150g (1 cup) self-raising flour
- 80ml (1/3 cup) milk
- 2 small red apples (such as Royal Gala), quartered, cored, thinly sliced
- Vanilla custard, to serve