How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base of a 26cm springform pan.
- Place the pistachio nuts and flour into a food processor and process until the nuts are finely ground. The flour helps the nuts to grind evenly. Add the baking powder and ground almonds and pulse till just combined.
- Using an electric mixer beat the egg yolks and the first lot of sugar on high speed till the mixture is very thick. Stir in the ground nut/flour mix, apple and butter and stir well. The mix will be quite stiff at this stage.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites to soft peak stage then add the extra sugar and beat to firm peak stage. Gently fold the egg whites into the nut mixture in two batches. Place the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for approximately 50-60 minutes until cooked through.
- Allow the cake to set in the pan for 10 minutes then turn out onto a cake rack to cool.
- To serve, dust the cake with a little icing sugar and serve slices with a dollop of marscarpone and a little mint.
Time for preparing:60 min. PT60M
- 2/3 cup (100g) unsalted pistachio nuts, shelled
- 1/4 cup (30g) rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder*
- 1 1/2 cups (150g) ground almonds
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar, extra
- 50g apple, such as fuji, unpeeled and grated
- 50g butter, melted To serve
- Sweetened mascarpone
- Shredded mint