How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 22cm (base) round cake pan and line base and sides with baking paper.
- Combine 1 cup sugar and warm water in a non-stick saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to medium and bring to the boil. Boil gently for 15 minutes or until mixture turns to toffee. Pour into pan. Arrange apple slices over toffee in a circular pattern, overlapping slightly.
- Place eggs, vanilla, oil and remaining 3/4 cup sugar in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until thick and pale. Sift flours together over egg mixture. Using a large metal spoon, gently fold through. Spoon mixture over apple.
- Bake cake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in pan before turning onto a plate. Serve warm or cold with a dollop of cream.
Time for preparing:70 min. PT70M
- 1 3/4 cups caster sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 golden delicious apples, cored, thinly sliced
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup light olive oil
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- double cream, to serve