How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 6-hole, 3/4-cup capacity Texas muffin pan. Sift flour, baking powder and mixed spice into a large bowl. Add 1/3 cup sugar. Mix well.
- Combine eggwhites, apple sauce, melted spread, yoghurt and apple in a bowl. Stir into dry ingredients until just combined.
- Spoon batter into muffin holes until two-thirds full. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for minutes before turning cakes onto a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, combine golden syrup, milk and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Combine cornflour with 2 teaspoons cold water. Stir into sauce. Return sauce to low heat. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until sauce boils and thickens slightly.
- Place warm cakes on plates. Drizzle with warm sauce and serve.
Time for preparing:30 min. PT30M
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggwhites
- 2/3 cup smooth apple sauce
- 30g reduced-fat dairy spread, melted
- 1/4 cup low-fat natural yoghurt
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored, coarsely grated
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon cornflour