How to Make:
- For fruit mixture, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Cover and stand at room temperature overnight.
- Preheat oven to 150C. Grease 4, 8 x 18cm loaf tins, then line bases with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until just combined. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until just combined. Sift flours over cake mixture. Add fruit mixture and stir well to combine. Spoon batter among prepared tins. Smooth tops then bake for 1 hour 20 minutes. Stand cakes in tins for 10 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to cool. Once cool, wrap in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 month.
- To decorate, sprinkle gelatine over 1/3 cup water in a small heatproof cup. Place cup in a saucepan of simmering water and stir until dissolved. Top cakes with slices of glace fruit then brush with gelatine mixture. Stand for 30 minutes to set.
Time for preparing:70 min. PT70M
Servings:4 loaf cakes
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups (275g) caster sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons powdered gelatine
- 500g assorted sliced glace fruit, to decorate Fruit mixture
- 300g sultanas
- 250g dried Greek white figs, finely chopped*
- 150g glace pear or quince, finely chopped
- 150g glace apricots or peaches, finely chopped
- 100g glace orange peel, finely chopped
- 100g blanched almonds, halved
- 200ml Grand Marnier or other orange-flavoured liqueur
- Finely grated rind of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract