How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 170C. Grease and line the base of a round, loose-based 25cm cake pan. Starting from the edge of the pan, tightly pack apple wedges, skin-side down, in a ring, then pack remaining wedges into the centre. Remove wedges from pan, re-creating the formation on a work surface.
- Place 220g (1 cup) sugar and 180ml (3/4 cup) water in a small, heavy-based saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, then simmer to a dark caramel. Pour caramel into the prepared pan, pouring around the edge first, then in the centre. Working quickly, carefully arrange apple wedges over caramel.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, vanilla and remaining 275g (1 1/4 cups) sugar until pale and fluffy. Sift flour, baking powder, ground almonds, cardamom and 1/2 teaspoon salt into butter mixture. Add eggs and milk, and beat on low speed until smooth and combined.
- Spoon batter over apple wedges, and level with the back of a spoon. Bake cake on the bottom shelf of the oven for 30 minutes, then cover with baking paper to prevent over-browning and bake for a further 45 minutes or until cake comes away from the side of the pan or a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then run a knife around the cake and turn out onto a plate.
- Meanwhile, to make the strawberry sauce, place jam and 125ml (1 1/2 cup) water in a small saucepan over medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until smooth. Makes 560ml (2 1/4 cups). The strawberry sauce will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Serve the upside-down cake warm or at room temperature with cream and strawberry sauce drizzled over.
Time for preparing:20 min. PT20M
- 5 royal gala apples, cored, each cut into 6 wedges
- 495g (2 1/4 cups) caster sugar
- 300g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 300g (2 cups) plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 75g ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 7 eggs, at room temperature
- 80ml (1/3 cup) milk
- 2 x 380g jars strawberry jam
- Double cream, to serve