How to Make:
- Place flour, 1/3 cup caster sugar and yeast in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment. Mix to combine. Add milk, egg and butter. Knead on medium speed for 3 to 4 minutes or until a soft, smooth dough forms (see notes). Cover bowl with lightly greased plastic wrap. Stand in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, place apple, 1 tablespoon of remaining caster sugar, vanilla and 1/4 cup of water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook for 10 minutes or until apple has softened. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool.
- Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 3 equal portions. Roll each portion into a 30cm-long log. Cut each log into 12 pieces. Press each piece into a 7cm disc. Place 2 teaspoons apple mixture onto the centre of each disc. Enclose apple mixture with dough and shape into balls.
- Grease a 22cm (top measurement) bundt cake pan. Combine cinnamon sugar and remaining caster sugar in a shallow bowl. Place melted butter in a bowl. Working with 1 at a time, dip balls into melted butter, turning to coat. Dip in cinnamon sugar mixture to coat. Place in prepared pan. Repeat process with remaining dough balls. Cover pan with plastic wrap. Stand in a warm place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Turn onto a serving plate (see notes).
- Meanwhile, make caramel sauce Place butter, sugar and cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until sauce simmers. Simmer for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Carefully pour hot caramel sauce over monkey bread. Serve immediately or within 2 to 3 hours.
Time for preparing:45 min. PT45M
- 4 cups plain bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried yeast
- 1 1/2 cups milk, warmed
- 1 egg
- 100g butter, softened
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 55g jar cinnamon sugar
- 100g butter, extra, melted Caramel sauce
- 50g butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pure cream