How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Brush a 750ml (3-cup), round ovenproof dish with the melted butter to grease and place on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the sugar in a medium bowl. Sift the flour and cocoa over the sugar, and stir to combine.
- Use a fork to whisk the milk, egg and butter in a bowl or jug until combined. Add to the dry ingredients and use a wooden spoon to beat until a smooth batter forms. Pour the chocolate mixture into the greased dish and use the back of a spoon to smooth the surface.
- Combine the extra sugar and extra cocoa in a bowl, and sprinkle it evenly over the chocolate mixture in the dish. Gradually pour the boiling water evenly over the sugar and cocoa. (The pudding will look like a bit of a mess at this stage but don?t worry, it will be fine.)
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until a cake-like top forms and a skewer inserted halfway into the centre of the pudding comes out clean. Set aside for 5 minutes (this will allow the sauce below the cake-like surface to thicken and cool slightly before serving). Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with ice-cream or cream.
Time for preparing:40 min. PT40M
- Melted butter, to grease
- 45g (1/4 cup, lightly packed) brown sugar
- 100g (2/3 cup) self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 80ml (1/3 cup) milk
- 1 egg
- 40g (2 tablespoons) butter, melted, cooled
- 80g (1/2 cup, lightly packed) brown sugar, extra
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, extra, sifted
- 200ml boiling water
- Icing sugar, to serve
- Vanilla ice-cream or thickened cream, to serve