Recipe: Raspberry marshmallow wagon wheelsHealthy Seasonal Recipes
How to Make:
- For marshmallow, stir 400g sugar, lemon juice and 150ml water in a small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and boil rapidly for 10 minutes or until a spoonful of syrup dropped into a glass of iced water forms a hard ball (see Cooking note).
- Place raspberries and 2 tablespoons water in a clean saucepan. Stir over medium heat for 5 minutes, crushing raspberries with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle gelatine over and stir until dissolved.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites to soft peaks, then gradually add remaining 40g sugar and whisk to stiff peaks. With the motor running, pour hot syrup in a thin, steady stream down the side of the bowl, then add the raspberry mixture. Whisk until mixture thickens enough to hold its shape.
- Combine cornflour and icing sugar and use to dust a greased 20cm x 30cm slice pan. Spoon marshmallow mixture into pan, level with the back of a spoon and refrigerate for 2 hours or until set.
- Meanwhile, make shortbread biscuits. Preheat oven to 150C. Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt for 10 minutes or until creamy. Add flour in 2 batches and beat until just combined. Transfer to a floured sheet of baking paper. Roll out until 6mm-thick. Using a 7cm pastry cutter, cut dough into 16 discs and place on 2 oven trays lined with baking paper. Prick the tops with a fork, then bake for 30 minutes, swapping trays halfway, or until biscuits are golden. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, melt chocolate in a small bowl (see note on Melting chocolate).
- To assemble wagon wheels, brush the tops and sides of the biscuits with melted chocolate, then place on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Leave to set. Grease a 7cm pastry cutter and press into the marshmallow. Remove cutter and, using a knife, lift out marshmallow round and place on a biscuit. Top with a second biscuit and dust with icing sugar. Repeat with the remaining marshmallow and biscuits to make 8 wagon wheels. Serve with extra raspberries. Refrigerate if not serving immediately.
Time for preparing:55 min. PT55M
- 185g unsalted butter
- 75g (1/3 cup firmly packed) dark brown sugar
- 300g (2 cups) plain flour
- 200g dark chocolate, (70% cocoa solids), chopped
- Icing sugar, to dust Raspberry marshmallow
- 440g (2 cups) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 125g raspberries, plus extra, to serve
- 5 teaspoons powdered gelatine
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar "