How to Make:
- Sift mixed spice and 3 cups flour into a bowl. Stir in yeast and sugar. Make a well in the centre. Add water. Mix to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Add remaining flour. Knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with lightly greased plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size. Grease a 6cm-deep, 9cm x 19cm loaf pan.
- Using your fist, punch dough down. Knead until smooth. Turn out on to a lightly floured surface. Gradually knead in dates, sultanas, currants and apricots. Roll dough out to a 25cm circle. Top with figs. Roll to form a log. Place in prepared pan. Cover with lightly greased plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm place for 15 minutes or until dough rises to top of pan.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Brush top of dough with milk. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 170°C/150°C fan-forced. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and hollow when tapped on top. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Turn out on to a wire rack to cool. Serve with butter and jam.
Time for preparing:40 min. PT40M
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 3 1/4 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons instant dried yeast
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup dried dates, chopped
- 1/3 cup sultanas
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1/3 cup diced dried apricots
- 1/2 cup tenderised dried figs, quartered
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar
- Butter, to serve
- Jam, to serve "