How to Make:
- Heat half the oil in a large heavy-based casserole dish over medium-high heat. Season chicken. Cook, in batches, for 5 mins or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil in the same pan over medium heat. Add the bacon, celery and carrot and cook for 5 mins or until softened. Add shallots, mushroom and garlic. Cook for a further 5 mins or until mushroom and shallots are golden. Add flour. Cook for 2 mins. Gradually add wine and stock, stirring to combine. Return chicken to the pan with thyme and cook for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through and sauce thickens.
- Remove and discard thyme sprigs. Add parsley and stir to combine. Serve chicken on mash with beans. Drizzle with the sauce.
Time for preparing:85 min. PT85M
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2.5kg Coles RSPCA Approved Whole Chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 150g bacon rashers, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled, chopped
- 6 shallots, peeled (see tip)
- 200g cup mushrooms, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 2 cups (500ml) red wine
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Mashed potato, to serve
- Steamed green beans, to serve "